How To Protect Your Home from Property Theft
In this blog, CSS gives you some tips on how to protect your home from burglary. During the COVID-lockdown years of 2020 and 2021, burglary statistic dropped because fewer homes were empty during the day and night.
But now that lock-down is over, the FBI reports that U.S. property crimes rose 7.1% in 2022. And it is likely that the increase will continue year over year as it did in the pre-COVID years.
Simple Safety Measures You Can Take
No one wants to come home and find their house ransacked and their prized possessions stolen. Make yourself less attractive to thieves and lower your risk of burglary by taking these measures:
- Lock all outside doors and windows. Do this whether you are in the house or gone.
- Don’t keep spare keys outside your house.
- Buy smart lights you can turn on and off while you’re away from home.
- Don’t let mail pile up in your box during extended trips. Put a hold on your mail or have a trusted neighbor pick up your mail for you.
- Don’t broadcast your plans to take a trip on social media. According to the FBI, nearly 12% of burglaries are committed by acquaintances.
Install a Home Security System
In addition to taking simple measure, it’s a good idea to invest in a home security system. A security system is a big deterrent to burglars. An Oregon radio station interviewed 86 convicted burglars at the Oregon Department of Corrections. The criminals said that if they saw security cameras they moved on to another location. And they were especially worried about a security alarm going off. The FBI reports that the capture rate for burglars is a little over 11%.
CSS Alarms Can Help You Protect Your Home